Monday, September 22, 2014

Forge Relationships

 FORGE = To form a relationship by heating and beating to form a new shape. We might feel: "dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything." (2 Corin 6:9) God forges a relationship of trust with each of us. "I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly PURGE away your dross and REMOVE all your impurities." (Isaiah 1:25) Because God is holy, because He so desires to FORGE an intimate, close relationship with us, we must die to the desires of our flesh, be purified and made holy. Baptized with the Holy Spirit, we feel cleansed, fresh, and vibrantly alive and in LOVE with God..."For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) So we simply accept Jesus into our heart, we profess with our mouth that we love Him, and He trusts that we do without a single payment or deed required, no matter what we might suffer, His promise is that we will not perish, but have or possess ETERNAL life! (B) To form or FORGE a friendship by focused effort to build unity and mutual trust by talking about what is important. With concentrated effort God pursues us. He chose us, and He constantly uses circumstances to draw us to Him. Because He loves us, He wants to communicate with us, bless us and CHANGE us for He loves us too much to leave us as we were found! Either way A or B, the word forge is a verb, it is an action word. The first way to heat, hammer and beat into shape feels a bit extreme for humans, however, the truth is, in His way, over hundreds of years in our time, it took intensive measures of heat from God to bend and shape the will of man. I humbly admit that I needed the truth hammered into my head with repetition to stamp out the lies that were rooted there. The second way to forge a relationship of love is to invest time, to carve out a place on my calendar to devote to the person who has taken up residence in my soul. It is my sincere desire to listen to God with the fullest attention of my heart, mind and soul. "Iam the Vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Without the love of God running through my mind, heart and veins, I am like a clanging noisy cymbal! Remove me from the FIRE, take me away from the association of like minded people, and my branch withers, no first fruits to give to God, and no fruit for others, my branch is bare! "If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear my fruit, showing yourselves to be My disciples." (John 15:5) Our Father disciplines those He loves and He instructs us wisely. "Let us hold unswervingly to the HOPE we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may SPUR (kick) one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another ---and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Heb 10:23-25)
How do I Love the Lord my God with all my heart? The word forge seems harsh, but it is indeed a word of action. It is a spiritual discipline to BELONG to God eternally. Inspired by God Timothy wrote "train yourself to be godly." (1 Tim 4:7) We are called to train or FORGE a relationship with our unseen, holy God. (

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbors yourself." Matthew 22:36-39

In order to love God with all my heart, soul and mind, I admit that it takes intentional effort --- but after ALL He has done for me, taking time to talk to God, to listen for His voice, to wait upon the Lord, to hear what He has to say, to seek His comfort, His guidance is not something I do out of obligation or duty. Not a duty but a joy! Once upon a time I was like Alice in Wonderland chasing my dream of being cherished and loved. I chased many a rabbit and fell into the underworld. When God called me as I was and gave me His word, His love - I was born again as His precious, beloved child. I belonged to the King and became a member of a huge family! Overflowing with thankfulness, I grew as a result of the faithful kindness, patience and grace of God and the saints He placed in my life. Remember our first love? Remember how we could not stop thinking about them, how we could not do enough for them...we loved, not to impress, not to score points, not to gain favor, but out of pure love we gave our time, our dreams, our money and our commitment to love them no matter what. This is the description of loving God above all else, and then loving our neighbors as ourselves. "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." (1 Peter 1:13)

"Let us therefore live a life that demands an explanation"
Jason Velo 3/14/10 Connexions Class at Crossroads Manteca

1 comment:

  1. ACTS 4:32 "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. 34 There were no needy persons among them.
    EXODUS 20:1 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other God's before you." God gave commands to lead Israel to a life of practical holiness with His guidelines intended to direct the community to meet the needs of each individual in a loving and responsible manner. EXODUS was written by Moses in 1450 before Christ. By the time fo Jesus, most believers abused God's commands and used the law as a way to prosperity on earth and in heaven. Striving to keep every law in order to EARN God's protection from invasion and natural disaster became their prideful way of living. God's ultimate law of love to govern Israel's civilzation with awe in ceremony and a morality that respected God's holy character was replaced with rituals. God's rules for living sprung from God's love and His commands then and today are not burdensome. 1 John 4:16 "God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1 JOHN 5:1 "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."

    ReplyDelete